Thursday, August 22, 2013

{First Impressions}: Mini Haul of Rimmel, Wet n Wild, MAC


I did a little shopping at CVS yesterday and at the MAC counter last week and I wanted to share my first impressions of a few inexpensive products {minus the MAC}.


EYES:

Rimmel London: Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer {not pictured}
I had a CVS coupon for $2 off a Rimmel beauty purchase, and my current eyeliner pencil {Estee Lauder} is now a nub that can no longer be sharpened, so I decided to grab a new liner to try.  First of all, let me say that the prices for drugstore eyeliner pencils have really elevated over the last few years.  I remember a few years ago a liner pencil by one of the more “prestigious” drugstore brands was less than $4.  As I was looking around at the Revlon, Covergirl, and Maybelline ones, I noticed they are now $8 or more.  I’m not opposed to paying top dollar for a good product, but if I’m going to spend that much at the drugstore, I might as well go back to Estee Lauder.  {I like the Estee Lauder one, but my goal is to spend less on things like eyeliners so I can spend more for the things I really love, like eye shadows}  So, after perusing through all of the eyeliners in the beauty section, I decided to just try a Rimmel one.  They have three different pencil style liners to choose from, but the Exaggerate one stood out because it was the only one with a smudge sponge on the opposite end, plus, it is retractable so I don’t have to worry with sharpening.  That makes a mess.  I picked up the Exaggerate Waterproof Eye Definer in Noir and I wore it when I got ready to go out last night and again this morning for work.  I do like the coverage and it glides on smoothly.  It is definitely waterproof, as I had trouble even removing it with my makeup remover last night.  The only con I see so far is that it does smudge a little.  I do have very moist eyes, so I’m wondering if that has anything to do with it.  I like it and will continue to use it throughout the next few weeks to see if I’m sold.

LIPS: 
Here are the swatches of the products mentioned below.



MAC: Lip Pencil in Boldy Bare
I saw this lip pencil on an Instagram guru’s photostream and she wore it several photos.  It’s a great nude shade with a hint of pink.  It couples great with the Rimmel lipstick and it also looks nice with a clear gloss.  I really like this shade.  I purchased it last Friday from the MAC counter in my town’s Belk store.

Wet n Wild: Megashield Lipstick in Birthday Suit
I decided to grab this because of two reasons: it was under $2 and it was a nude shade.  I really like it.  My lips are quite pigmented, so it just adds a little nude shimmer.  I cannot complain for something I got for a dollar and some change, plus it has SPF 15, which is an added bonus.  I’m not going to rave over this product, especially since I haven’t been able to wear it for even 24 hours yet, but I’m pleased so far, especially for the low cost.

Rimmel London: Lasting Finish Lipstick by Kate Moss in Shade 14
I have been looking for a nude lip color for the past few weeks and I did pick one up at MAC, but I don’t really wear a lot of lipsticks and I’m considering returning it.  While I was looking at the eyeliners, I noticed Rimmel was BOGO50, so I decided to try a lipstick.  I grabbed shade 14, a nude with a hint of shimmer.  I like it.  I wore it last night and again today.  It doesn’t have a lot of staying power, but it doesn’t over dry my lips – which is the main reason I don’t wear a lot of lip products.  I coupled it with MAC Boldly Bare lip liner and applied Wet n Wild in Birthday Suit on top. 

Have a pretty day, lovelies!

No comments:

Post a Comment