Tuesday, August 20, 2013

{Tresses Tuesday}: Bun Edition



It’s Tresses Tuesday, and that means all things HAIR!  What I’d like to share today is not anything new, or revolutionary, but it has become WAY popular in the past few years.  It is the "sock bun".  I don’t make mine with a sock, but I have seen many tutorials on YouTube of gals that do.  

 Here's a shot of how I sport my bun!

My hair is super thin and if I try to create a bun by simply twisting my hair into the bun shape, it is a very tiny little bun.  We are talkin’ teeny, tiny, baby bun.  After scouring YouTube a few months ago {more like six months ago}, I saw that a lot of girls are using two “bun helpers”: the sock and the “doughnut”.  I know what you are thinking – DOUGHNUT?  It’s not the kind that you eat, it’s made of mesh and it is one fantastic invention – we will get into it later.  If you are a sock wearer and happen to have some longer socks hanging around in your drawer that are similar to your hair color, I suggest trying those first.  You simply cut the toe section off straight across, and roll the sock down onto itself until you have something that resembles a huge scrunchy.    Then, you use the over sized sock-scrunchy to create a bun.  If you’d like to learn more about this method, simply type “sock bun” into the search box on YouTube and a blue million tutorials will appear. 

Now, if you are like me, and only wear ankle socks in an array of bright colors that would show through your hair, you may want to stop by your local beauty supply store and pick up a hair doughnut.  I purchased mine at Sally Beauty Supply and their exact name for it is “ Mesh Chignon ".  These wonderful little doughnut shaped pieces of hair wonder are offered in three colors: blonde, brown, and black, and they come in three sizes. I purchased the middle sized one in black because I dye my hair a super dark brown that is too dark for the brown colored chignon.  The color does not have to match your hair color exactly, but should be close, as sometimes it can show through your bun after long wear.  Now, I know you might be wondering how to use the “magic doughnut bun maker of joy”.  There are several ways, two of which I will describe to you here.
The first step can apply to both methods.  Create a ponytail with your hair.  It can be high, low, messy, slicked back – however you choose.  I generally tease the crown of my hair and create a high ponytail.  Then, lightly tease the ends of your hair to create some texture. 

Method 1: The Roll Down {Uniform Bun}
Now, grab your “mesh chignon” and insert your ponytail inside of the hole.  Using one hand, hold the chignon and use your other hand to wrap the ends of your hair around the chignon until you have it somewhat covered and then begin to roll the chignon down {similar to how you would roll a pair of socks after washing them}.  This will combine your hair around the chignon and create a bun shape.  Keep rolling down until you reach the base of your ponytail and you will have a uniform bun shape.  At this point, I just secure it with a few bobbie pins and that’s all.  Complete the look with hairspray.

Method 2: The Pin in Place {Messy Bun}
Complete step one and then insert your hair inside the hole of chignon, only this time, bring the chignon all the way down to the base {it will look like an over sized ponytail holder}.  Now, take pieces of hair and start wrapping them over the chignon, covering it and using it as a filler.  Pin the pieces as you go and create whatever shape you’d like.  If you do this tightly, you can still create an elegant bun.  If you allow some of the pieces to be tightly secured and some to be more loose, you’ll get a messier look.  Complete the look with hairspray.

Have fun with this – it doesn’t have to be perfect!  Have a pretty day, y’all!


No comments:

Post a Comment